(NEW YORK) — The release of Louis C.K.’s new film “I Love You, Daddy” — which centers on a nearly 70-year-old director obsessing over a 17-year-old girl — has been pulled after five women accused the comedian of sexual misconduct.
“The Orchard will not be moving forward with the release,” reports the production company that backed the movie.
On Thursday, the company scrapped a planned premiere of the film, just hours before a New York Times story detailing the accusations was published.
According to the article, multiple women, including fellow comedians Dana Min Goodman, Julia Wolov, Abby Schachner, and Rebecca Corry, accused C.K. — born Louis Szekely — of either harassment or committing lewd acts, including pleasuring himself in front of them. The alleged acts occurred in 2002. 2003 and 2005.
Rumors about C.K.’s alleged behavior have persisted for years, with the comic refusing to address them. On Friday’s Good Morning America, Cara Buckley, one of the reporters behind the piece, said the accounts were corroborated by others.
“We looked for paper trails. We looked for emails the women sent afterwards, and we talked to, at length, people that they had reached out to after the incidents,” said Buckley. “Many of them, right after it happened, they called a friend, saying, ‘you would not believe what just happened to me.'”
Buckley also praised the women for being “brave enough…to step forward” despite the risk of career backlash for speaking out against C.K., whom she described as “beloved. He is a king-maker. He helps build careers of other people.”
Also Friday, Netflix announced it was canceling a second planned stand-up special with Louis C.K. Calling the allegations “disturbing,” Netflix said in a statement his “unprofessional and inappropriate behavior with female colleagues has led us to decide not to produce a second stand-up special, as had been planned.”
Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.