Fire officials don’t know what caused a blaze that destroyed a hog barn and killed about 150 pigs in rural southern Illinois.
The fire was reported late Monday in Jasper County near the village of Montrose about 70 miles south of Champaign. Montrose Fire Chief Chris Overbeck tells the Effingham Daily News that firefighters had to wait for electricity to be shut off to the barn before they could put out the flames because a downed power line was sparking.
Overbeck says the barn was fully engulfed by flames when crew arrived. He says the damage was so extensive that a cause for the fire couldn’t be determined.
Firefighters were able to prevent the blaze from spreading to another nearby hog barn.