The Visitor Center at Scotts Bluff National Monument has seen many additions and improvements over the years. The original museum building was built in 1935, however, it was soon expanded in 1937 to include the tower, the Landmark Room and a comfort station. The William H. Jackson Memorial Wing was later added in 1948.
The Visitor Center will soon undergo a major construction milestone with an expansion and renovation project. It is anticipated to begin in January and last for approximately nine months. During this time, visitor service and retail operations will be based out of a temporary trailer across the parking lot from the Visitor Center. The transition to the temporary trailer will likely occur in mid-November. The park will not close during the construction and all visitor services will be available to the public.
The project was originally anticipated to get underway in August of 2017 but due to lack of adequate bid proposals, the project was delayed. After receiving numerous bid proposals this year, Rangel Construction Company, LLC based out of Rapid City, South Dakota has been chosen as the contractor.
Once completed, the newly renovated Visitor Center will provide visitors with a modern facility featuring all-new interpretive displays, indoor restroom facilities, multi-purpose room and expanded office and retail space. The project will also update the building to meet life safety, accessibility and building codes while maintaining the historical integrity of the structure.