class="post-template-default single single-post postid-288413 single-format-standard custom-background group-blog header-image full-width singular wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.4.5 vc_responsive"

Creighton Women lose at DePaul

Creighton Women lose at DePaul

Chicago, Ill. — Despite a furious start and a balanced attack that saw five Bluejays finish in double figures, the Creighton women’s basketball came up a little short at DePaul, 77-67.

The loss dropped Creighton to 13-9 on the season and 7-5 in BIG EAST action, while DePaul moved to 17-6 overall and 9-2 in conference play.

Creighton got off to a fast start in the opening frame as Creighton hit eight of its first 10 shots. DePaul, however was equally hot as the Blue Demons went 8-of-18 in the frame. After ten minutes of play, Creighton held a 23-20 edge, thanks in large part to six points in the frame from sophomore Ali Greene. The Minnesota native delivered three buckets on back cuts to help the Bluejays shoot 9-of-13 (69%) in the first quarter.

The Bluejays’ second period woes from last weekend traveled with them to Chicago as Creighton’s shooting went ice cold in the second, knocking down just two of 14 shots (14%). While the Bluejays struggled from the field, DePaul was able to pound the ball into the post for Mart’e Grays to surge ahead 26-23. The Blue Demon’s closed the quarter 8-of-15 from the field (53%) and took a 36-29 lead into halftime.

Down 47-34 midway through the third, the Bluejays rattled off five straight on a trey from freshman Temi Carda and a driving layup from Audrey Faber to cut the deficit to 47-39 (4:20). Within seven at 51-44, the Bluejays watched DePaul close the frame with a 10-2 run to send the game to the fourth with Creighton down 61-46.

Trailing 63-48 with just over eight minutes left, the Bluejays started to climb back into contention with a three-ball from sophomore Jaylyn Agnew, a dive to the bucket from Greene and a layup from senior Sydney Lamberty. The 7-0 run brought Creighton within striking distance at 63-55 (6:55).

Down 69-59 moments later (4:57), Creighton had one more push. This time the surge began with two from the charity stripe by Agnew. Following a defensive stop, Faber dropped in a 12-footer to make it 69-63 (4:06). After another stop on the defensive end, Lamberty brought the Bluejays within four at 69-65 (3:30).

DePaul, however, held the Bluejays off down the stretch.

Lamberty led Creighton on the scoreboard with 14 points, while Faber delivered 13 points. The three remaining Bluejays to finishing in double figures were Carda (12), Agnew (11) and Greene (10).

DePaul got a game-high 25 points from Grays in the victory.

The Bluejays return to the hardwood on Sunday, Feb. 4 as Creighton faces Marquette at 1:00 pm in Milwaukee, Wis.

© 2018 Nebraska Rural Radio Association. All rights reserved. Republishing, rebroadcasting, rewriting, redistributing prohibited. Copyright Information