YORK- Congressman Adrian Smith was in York today (Wednesday) for the Ag Update tour. A number of topics were discussed with Congressman Smith and Jim Macy, Director of the Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality. But the main discussion was about trade and the effects on the nation and agriculture. Smith did address the trade situation with China stating they will need to get the USMCA done and that China will have to make a change.
Tariffs were discussed as well when it comes to trade with China as well. Smith says this about China as well when it comes to dealing with them and also his stance on tariffs.
Smith also said that when China wanted to be in the WTO, the hope was they would play differently, but they haven’t. He added that Wal-Mart’s presence in Japan has made a positive impact as well.
Key facts about this Ag Update Tour included:
- 1-NE-03 was once again named the #1 ag district in America by the USDA
- 55,834 – Number of producers in NE-03, most in the U.S.
- 33,294 – Number of farms in NE-03, most in the U.S.
- The top three cattle producing counties in the nation (Cherry, Custer, and Holt County) all are in Nebraska’s Third District
- Nebraska is the country’s 6th largest agricultural exporting state, exporting more than $6.4 billion in domestic agricultural good
- Nebraska’s Third District leads the nation in market value of agricultural products sold