class="post-template-default single single-post postid-402029 single-format-standard custom-background group-blog header-image full-width singular wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.0.5 vc_responsive"

Barking dog alerts Mitchell family to fire; all escape unharmed

Barking dog alerts Mitchell family to fire; all escape unharmed
(Murphy/KNEB/RRN)

A Thursday night house fire in Mitchell could have ended up exponentially worse if not for the family dog alerting family members about the blaze.

At approximately 9:30 p.m., the Mitchell Fire Department responded to a call in the 1300 block of 13th Avenue.

Scottsbluff Fire Prevention Officer Anthony Murphy was called to the scene as well, and tells KNEB News their were a lot of takeaways from this fire.

Murphy says an unattended candle was burning on the stove after the residents went to sleep. He says the candle was either knocked over or the glass broke, and the fire then ignited the control panel on the stove and spread to the cabinets above.

There were no working smoke detectors in the home, but fortunately their dog began barking, and woke up the occupants. They were able to call the Fire Department, who responded within minutes and were able to use fire extinguishers to stop the fire from spreading further.

The residents were able to escape the home and were unharmed, and the early dollar amount for damage was put at $5,000.

Murphy says candles should always be extinguished before going to bed, and smoke detectors should be checked every six months.

Also responding to the scene was the Mitchell Police Department, Scotts Bluff County Sheriff’s Department, and Valley Ambulance.

 

© 2019 Nebraska Rural Radio Association. All rights reserved. Republishing, rebroadcasting, rewriting, redistributing prohibited. Copyright Information
Share:
Comments