REMONT, Neb. – Midland University’s baseball team took advantage of the warm weekend and started its conference season off on a high note as the Warriors took the first three games of a four-game series with Dordt University.
The Warriors (5-10, 3-1 GPAC) used three stellar pitching performances to lift them to their three wins while the Defenders (2-8, 1-3 GPAC) saved all of their offense for game four and exploded for 14 runs after being held to just one, zero, and two runs in the first three games.
Midland served as the visiting team for Saturday’s doubleheader after the games were moved from Sioux Center due to poor playing conditions. The series win gets Midland back on track after a difficult start to the season in which the Warriors started just 2-9 away from home against solid competition.
Game 1 – Midland 8, Dordt 1 (Box Score)
- Tyler Seebaum – Winning pitcher, CG (7 inn.), 1 run (unearned), 4 H, 11 K, 2 BB
- Dakota Thornton, Austin Hamilton, Matt Abdelnour – 2 RBIs each
- Daniel Perez – solo HR (1) in the bottom of the 2nd
Game 2 – Midland 3, Dordt 0 (Box Score)
- James Scurto – Winning pitcher, CG (9 inn.), 8 H, 0 R, 11K, 1 BB
- Dakota Thornton – 2-for-4, 2 2Bs, 1 RBI
- Peyton Garbers – 2-for-4, 1 RBI
Game 3 – Midland 10, Dordt 2 (Box Score)
- Steven Boyd – Winning pitcher, CG (7 inn.), 2 ER, 5 H, 8 K, 2 BB
- Gabe Settles – 2-for-3, 2-run HR (2) in the top of the 6th
- Daniel Perez – 1-for-3, 3-run HR (2) in the top of the 6th
Game 4 – Dordt 14, Midland 10 (Box Score)
- 14 runs allowed, most in a game for Midland this season
- Austin Hamilton – 2-for-6, 1 2B, 4 RBI
- Darius Johnson – 1-for-6, 2-run HR (2) in the top of the 2nd
- Peyton Garbers – 3-for-4, 4 R, 1 BB
The Warriors return to the field this upcoming weekend as they play a pair of doubleheaders with Valley City State University on Friday, March 6, and Sunday, March 8. All four games will be held in Minneapolis at U.S. Bank Stadium, home of the Minnesota Vikings.