COLUMBIA, Mo. – The Omaha baseball team fell behind 7-0 and couldn’t quite pull off the comeback in a 12-10 loss in the series opener at Missouri on Friday afternoon in Columbia, Mo.
The Mavericks fall to 1-2 while the Tigers improve to 2-3 on the season.
How It Happened
- The Tigers scored two runs in the first and added a solo homer in the third to grab a 3-0 lead after three innings.
- A bases-clearing triple and an RBI groundout allowed Mizzou to stretch the lead to 7-0 in the fifth.
- Omaha erupted for six runs on four hits in the seventh to make it a two-run game.
- Jack Lombardi and Masen Prososki led off the scoring with back-to-back RBI doubles before Ryan Doran drew a bases loaded walk and Chris Esposito lined an RBI single to left.
- Eduardo Rosario drew Omaha’s second bases loaded walk in the winning to get the Mavericks within 7-5.
- Missouri answered right back with five runs of their own off two hits in the bottom half of the inning to expand the lead back to 12-5.
- Esposito’s two-RBI single in the eighth led off the scoring for the Mavericks before Adam Gadsden was hit by the pitch and Lombardi drew a walk in back-to-back plate appearances with the bases loaded.
- Prososki made it a two-run game after getting hit by the pitch with two outs in the bottom of the eighth.
- Doran walked in the top of the ninth and got to second on a passed ball, but the Mavericks couldn’t pull off the ninth-inning rally.
Inside the Box Score
- Omaha scored 10 runs on nine hits and committed no errors.
- Prososki led the Mavericks at the plate, going 3-for-4 with two RBI and a pair of runs scored.
- Esposito went 2-for-3 with a team-high three RBI.
- Boeve had his first two hits as a Maverick while Lombardi drove in a pair of runs.
- Starter Joey Machado was tagged with the loss after striking out eight batters and allowing three runs, two earned, on five hits in four innings of work.
- Jayden Maifeld and Jackson Gordon each pitched one inning of relief.
- Rece Snyder, Henry Ristvedt, Harrison Kreiling and Tanner Howe combined to throw the final two innings for the Mavericks.
The Mavericks and Tigers play a doubleheader tomorrow beginning at noon.