NORMAN, Okla. – No. 22 Oklahoma used a five-run eighth inning to hold off a potential Maverick sweep, as Omaha fell 8-5 on Monday afternoon at L. Dale Mitchell Park in Norman, Okla.
The loss snaps a seven-game win streak for the Mavericks and drops Omaha to 1-1 on the season.
Starter Richie Holetz was dealing early, retiring the first six OU batters before Kendall Pettis began the third with a single and advanced to second on a fielding error. A groundout took Pettis to third before scoring on a sac fly to tie the game at one.
Breyden Eckhout took first via hit by pitch and later raced home on Krumwiede’s RBI double to left center, giving the Mavericks a 2-1 lead in the fourth.
The Sooners tied the game at two in the fifth on a balk and scored the go-ahead run in the bottom of the seventh on a wild pitch.
Omaha responded when Ryan Doran launched a 1-2 pitch over the wall in right for a pinch-hit solo homer to tie the game back up at three in the eighth inning. An RBI single gave the Sooners back the lead before a grand slam blew the game open at 8-3 after eight innings.
In a pinch-hitting role, Jack Lombardi drew a walk in the ninth with one out, followed by an RBI double by pinch-hitting Eduardo Rosario to get the Mavericks within four. With two outs, Harrison Denk lined an RBI single up the middle, plating Rosario and cutting the deficit to three.
Inside the Box Score
- The Mavericks scored five runs on six hits, including four extra-base hits.
- Bonar went 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI.
- Krumwiede went 1-for-2 at the plate with a double, an RBI, a run scored and a walk.
- Doran was 1-for-1 with the pinch-hit homer while Denk and Rosario also had a hit.
- Holetz tossed 4.1 innings of one-hit ball with three strikeouts in the no decision.
- Easton Smith threw 2.2 innings of relief while Tanner Howe, Casey Young and Zach Munson also made appearances on the mound for the Mavericks.
Omaha ventures to Columbia, Mo., this weekend as the Mavericks take on Missouri in a four-game series on Friday-Sunday, Feb. 26-28.