ROSEMONT, Ill. – Sydney Hampton tossed her second complete-game shutout of the weekend while Omaha run-ruled Miami (OH) 8-0 in five innings to finish play at the Rambler Rumble on Sunday morning.
The victory moves the Mavericks to 3-2 on the season.
How It Happened
- Lynsey Tucker began the bottom of the first with a walk, followed by Emma Dargy’s two-run home run to left to give the Mavericks a 2-0 lead.
- For the second time this weekend Dargy and Jamie White teamed up to hit back-to-back home runs in the first inning as White blasted a solo shot to left to stretch the lead to 3-0.
- Emily Klosterman and Allison Helton opened the second with consecutive singles before Klosterman scored on an RBI groundout from Tucker.
- Omaha added a second run in the inning when Dargy lined an RBI single up the middle, plating Helton.
- Hailey Bartz clubbed her second career home run to start the fourth and extend the Maverick lead to 6-0.
- After Tucker and Klosterman drew walks in the fourth, White smacked a two-RBI double to left center to give Omaha an 8-0 advantage.
- Hampton held the Redhawks scoreless in the fifth to clinch the run-rule victory for the Mavericks.
Inside the Box Score
- White led the Mavericks at the plate, going 2-for-3 with a double, home run and three RBI.
- Dargy went 2-for-3 with a home run and two RBI.
- Bartz hit a solo home run while Klosterman and Helton recorded one hit apiece.
- Hampton tossed the shutout while allowing five hits and striking out four batters.
- Hampton is now 3-0 on the season with two complete-game shutouts, a 0.44 ERA and 10 strikeouts in 16 innings of work.
- Omaha’s seven home runs through the first five games are the most since the Mavericks belted 11 as a team in the first five games of the 2016 campaign.
The Mavericks travel to Las Cruces, N.M., to face New Mexico State in a three-game series on Friday-Saturday, Feb. 14-15. Omaha and the Aggies play a doubleheader on Friday beginning at 4 p.m. CT before wrapping up the series on Saturday at 1 p.m. CT.