It is that time of year where monsters, super heroes, and ghosts will come door-to-door asking for candy. Be sure to keep your children and other trick-or-treaters safe this holiday from accidental poisoning. Many medications found in homes can be easily mistaken for candy, according to Safe Kids Worldwide.
The Nebraska Groundwater Foundation recommends ensuring all medications are safely secured and are properly disposed of. If cleaning out your medicine cabinets, dispose of unused, leftover, or expired medications by taking them back to a Nebraska MEDS participating pharmacy.
Safe Kids Worldwide also recommends the following to prevent accidental poisoning from medications:
- Keep medicine and vitamins out of children’s reach and sight, even those you take every day.
- Remember to keep visitors’ purses, bags, and coats out of reach, in case they contain medication.
- Child-resistant packaging is not childproof, so keep all medication stored securely away immediately after every use.
- Save the Poison Help number in your phone and have it easily accessible at home in case of emergencies – 1-800-222-1222.
- Never call medicine “candy.”
Learn more about the Nebraska Groundwater Foundation following the link: